Tuesday, January 02, 2007

"Preserving the natural character of Millstone" - The Examiner, 12/28/06:
People who have moved to Millstone often cite its rural atmosphere as one of the reasons they chose to live there.

Pat Butch, who moved to the township for that very reason, has been working hard to keep it rural.

Butch moved to Millstone 17 years ago from North Brunswick in Middlesex County. Back then, she had two horses that she boarded.

"“We wanted a more rural setting, with open space," she said. "“Exactly what Millstone is."

What became their Bright Meadows Farm on Prodelin Way was previously owned by a developer. Butch said the real estate market was not good in 1990 so the owner sold to her family all but a relatively small part of his approved subdivision.

Butch lives in a farmhouse that is more than 200 years old on the 80-acre farm consisting of two adjoining properties. There are 36 horses on one parcel and 30 on the other, she said. Fifteen of the horses, including lesson horses and broodmares, belong to Butch, while the rest are boarders.
I met Pat last year at the YMCA.

Her grandson and my boys were in the same swim class.

I mentioned that I wanted my oldest to start horseback riding lessons. She thought he was too young.

So, I held off because of that and the new baby and whether or not we really could afford it.

I mean, I don't want to start something that I can't keep up, one way or another, especially if he likes it. I also thought it might be nice if his younger brother could do it with him.

When the time is right, I need to check out her farm which is just down the street. In fact, I think that my neighbor takes her older daughter there to ride. Yeah, the one who just put her home on the market. Sigh.

No comments: