Saturday, January 20, 2007

What a party!

First, how we got there: two weeks ago, I stored the address into TomTom as a favorite under the title "1/20/07 party." Clever, huh? Then I forgot about it
... until the appropriate time.

Of course, a "party morning" is always a mad dash. I had all week to shop for a present but, like a mini-version of the Christmas rush some people crave, I wait til the last minute. My gifts are generally the same simple item, party-in, party-out: books. Books don't break or need batteries, they take up little space and are a good value.

Anxiety is generally high on party mornings. Get the party-goers bathed and looking handsome. Get the gift and get it wrapped. The last thing I need to stress over is how to get to the party. Usually I'm calling the place for directions or looking at Google maps. But, today, I just blindly followed TomTom's soothing voice. Actually, the best part is that I don't have to worry about driving past the place by mistake. That's the best part. It really is.

Upon arriving at the party, the four-year-old didn't want to go in. Hmmm, perhaps he was frightened by the tall clown girl on stilts standing right by the door. She encouraged those entered to pass between her legs. Or maybe it was the loud music, do five-year-olds listen to hip-hop? Or just the huge crowd of guests.

One after another, Tim's friends arrived and entered the party after greeting us in the lobby briefly. I put on a faint smile and explained, "We are working up the courage to go in." He told me again and again that he wanted to go home. In truth, the party looked to me like too much fun to skip, so I waited him out. And ultimately, scooped him up in my arms and brought him in. At that moment, Spiderman arrived - a little late! - and helped me with the door. Tim was really terrified, telling Spiderman that he hates him. Inside, we met Dora the Explorer, Cinderella and Ariel the Little Mermaid. Not to mention the lady on stilts and another juggler, unicycle rider. Actually, Tim thought that the unicycle was cool.

I carried him around for a while. He saw the bouncy room (inflatable) and tried it but got ticked off by something (or someone) and quickly jumped out. We did some sand art which I don't think he's ever done. I got him a balloon sword which he liked. The buffet was to die for. And an open bar which one doesn't generally see at birthday parties. They even had that NYT bread! But Jeff's is better!

There were a few carnival type games, ring toss, that sort of thing that Tim tried. There was a magic show but Tim stayed in the bouncy room with his friend from school the whole time. He enjoyed having the room to himself. The "dessert cart" was every child's dream: mounds and mounds of candy, cascading like a waterfall from bags and piling up on the shelfs of the cart. As kids helped themselves I thought, "What a fairy tale party! And, if they changed the candy to money, parents would enter the fray!" Actually, I saw a few parents eating candy too!

After parties like that, I always feel as if I should send them a thank-you card. Since most of the glamour parents have left the school, the parties have been pretty modest. But, there are one or two left who like to throw blow-outs like this.

No comments: