Monday, July 31, 2006

An Apple store opened at the Freehold Raceway Mall so, instead of going to the Menlo Park Mall to get my iPod repaired, I just drove to Freehold.

They said that I had to see a "genius". I wanted to tell them that I live with a genius and he couldn't fix it. But, no reason to be smug right off the bat. They helped me to make an appointment for an hour later. I did some other shopping and came back.

I sat at the bar, the "genius bar",
at my appointed time and he called my name from the overhead screen. I pulled out my iPod and quickly saw the error image on the display and said, "Oh, this is the error message." And he said, "The battery needs to be charged. That's what that message means." And I said, "Well, then, no, no, that's not the error message. It's an exclamation mark with a file."

So, he connected my iPod to the counter laptop and said that he had to wipe it out because it was unusable. I said ok to that. Then he reloaded the software and told me to charge it and update it with my songs.

I was somewhat pleased and a little bothered that my husband and I couldn't have pulled this off using the online restore and reset tools. I told the genius that we had tried resetting and restoring.

Anyway, long story short, iTunes is not able to update my iPod. So Jeff thinks there are bad disk sectors. I don't know how common this is with the 3G iPods. I realize that bad sectors are a common occurrence, so common in fact that disk controllers map them out dynamically nowadays.

Gosh, I remember the old days of typing known bad block data into the format program by hand. You remember that? It's like, the manufacturers, Seagate or Maxtor, couldn't produce defect-free disks, so they just ran post-production diags, collected the list of bad blocks and printed them on a separate paper. Eventually, I guess, format programs learned how to detect bad blocks for themselves at format time and allow for sparing. And, of course, nowadays, bad sector handling is invisible to the end-user.

Well, gotta go back to the Apple store.

No comments: