Thursday, July 13, 2006

We watched a Simpsons rerun recently and there was something crude in it for everyone.

First, there was a little reading for my five-year-old: when the principal divides girls from boys, Bart relishes the prospect of walking around school "with Bart Jr. hanging out." He pulls a frog from his pants pocket, and the frog's ribbits are subtitled, "I thought he meant his penis."

I paused the program with TiVo so that Kenny could have a crack at reading the subtitle.

The key word is one he has proudly and defiantly spelled to me on at least one occasion. I was curious whether he remembered the word. He eventually came up with it but, of course, didn't get the joke. He knew only that it was a "bad word."

Then, Lisa's nickname, after she slips into the boys' school, is "toilet". Well, that just happens to be the 3-year-old's favorite word at the moment. So he was hysterical laughing.

They are watching now another episode of The Simpsons, "My Fair Laddy", one that's been saved to TiVo. And Kenny just came running out to tell me that he read another crude line. He said, "'Bong Slut' ... what does that mean?"

I said, "It's slang and you don't talk that way." He got it a little wrong, but I wasn't about to correct him.

No comments: