Monday, July 24, 2006

It's hard to know what to think. To figure why they didn't come out, the vast majority of them, especially those who haven't gone far. Not too far, anyway. Close enough to spend a few hours in Bethany with some of us who drove all day to be there.

Some had to work. The rain. The venue. There were conflicts or other upcoming events. The county fair was wrapping up. We declined a friend's birthday party and niece's graduation celebration to be there.

My father was fond of saying that Oakfield is a nice place to be from, a not-too-subtle encouragement to move away upon coming of age. In the twenty years since I've been gone, I'm not sure that it's remained such a nice place.

The wings were good, especially those from The Magadore. And the pizza from Pontillo's was good. They can't make pizza in NJ ... they don't know how.

3 comments:

michele said...

Yes they do! I've had pizza in NY, so I know what I'm talking about.

michele said...

Attilio's in Eatontown -- everything on it. Really good.

Moonshadow said...

Ah, expressing a little homesickness here. I like a doughier crust.