Saturday, July 08, 2006

Do you have a favorite meal that you hardly ever make? Not because it's tricky, 'though it may be. Not because it calls for exotic ingredients, 'though that's a possibility. Just because it's in a cookbook that you don't otherwise use.

That's the case with what I made for dinner tonight. And I didn't remember this favorite recipe because I was flipping through that odd cookbook. No. Instead, I saw how good the key ingredient, green tomatillos, looked at my favorite country market late last week and said to myself, "Oh, I have a recipe for those!"

Now, the season for tomatillos, as you know, runs from May to November, depending. And in my experience, they are best early in the season. Well, these looked great, so I grabbed a pound then racked my brain for the other ingredients and ended up doubling back through the store. The lady at the meat counter said to me, "Oh, what did you forget?" And I was like, "No, no, it's not that ... I changed my menu!"

So, chicken breast, roasted red pepper, a jalapeño, jack cheese (I opted for pepper jack) and corn tortillas. I didn't think to get fresh cilantro so I had to use dried. I prefer fresh.

I should say that this recipe comes from the Southern Living annual 1995 which my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas one year. I have never had a subscription myself.

Cook down the tomatillos in water with chicken bouillon cube and chopped onion for an hour. Add the roasted red pepper and jalapeño (both chopped) plus brown sugar and lime juice and garlic and salt.

Shred or chop the chicken (Jeff grilled it but I boil it usually) and mix the chicken with the shredded cheese in a large bowl. Roll the chicken & cheese tortilla into a casserole dish, top with tomatillo sauce and more shredded jack cheese and bake until heated.

I usually don't bother with a side dish but of course, yellow rice or Spanish rice or refried beans are fine.

No comments: