Monday, July 31, 2006

It's probably a combination, hands full and fourth, but at my check-up, the doctor noted with some agitation that the blood work had not been done.

It wasn't simply blood work; she tacked on a one-hour glucose test. That requires more in-office time and preconditions, namely fasting blood sugar. Heck, I haven't a history of gestational diabetes. Last time, I took the 3-hour test twice and passed!

So, today was the day. She wrote me another script because I wasn't sure I could find the original. And the second script didn't have the one-hour glucose. So I still need to go back for that when she remembers it again, probably next visit.

She wants the AFP (quad) screen between 18 and 19 weeks, so, in other words, now.

The 11-week screen results were spectacular, so I don't see the point in the less sensitive AFP. But maybe I don't understand my screening options very well because when I tried to waive the AFP screen, my doctor told me to just go ahead and get it. And we wonder why medical costs and insurance premiums are out of control, all these "be on the safe side" tests.

In fact, I was at the lab for only thirty minutes. So, it was reasonably quick. She drew seven vials of blood. I had to look away. And it hurt. During my working years, I donated blood six or seven times a year (the maximum) and usually did fine. But since having kids and stopping working, I haven't donated blood at all. And they tell me that I have a lot of scar tissue.

No comments: