Thursday, July 27, 2006

The "study" of the Hebrew and Greek words for "anoint" turned up "rub with oil, consecrate".

The teacher-by-video, Kay Arthur, was quite adamant and repetitive in her assertion that everyone within earshot has been anointed.

With oil? When? I couldn't ask, not without sounding arrogant and superior.

Still, I detected a disconnect between the conclusion of the study - which was clearly a physical gesture involving oil - and what I perceive to be the typical Evangelical experience of anointing, involving nothing but the mind and the emotions.

Kay also said that we can never pray Psalm 51:11 because it can't happen; it is impossible for God to take His Holy Spirit away from us.
Do not cast me away from Your presence
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Psalm 51:11 (NASB), also Psalm 51:13 (NAB)

Kay said that when we sin, we grieve the Spirit, we quench the Spirit, we turn the Spirit's influence into a trickle and we reap the consequences.

My reaction to this is, first of all, outrage that she's telling me that there's a verse of Scripture that I am not allowed to pray?!

Secondly and more profoundly, I'm left with the impression that whether the Spirit departs or whether I quench Him, the end result is the same: I haven't the divine assistance that I once had and surely need.

Am I being nit-picky or is she off-base?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The very fact that Kay Arthur uses the NASB, NAB, NIV, etc. shows she doesn't even know what the "real" scripture says; Kay Arthur is a charlatan's charlatan, who is self proclaimed, and her opinions pass only in the suburbs of the ignorant, who refuse to seek for themselves the truth. For those who wish to learn the true word, get a Green's Interlinear Bible, one with the Hebrew, Greek, and English right there for you to see the actual text and it's translation; do not be fooled by false prophets, as they have surely come to confuse the truth, and lead you astray. Good Luck

Moonshadow said...

Whether Arthur knows biblical Hebrew or not, I can't say. I simply enjoy her for her dispensationalist bent ... however, she's becoming more Reformed, owing to her ordained PCA minister son, and her eschatology has shifted significantly recently.

Yes, I have Green's ... it was recommended to me a long, long time ago by a good friend.