Sunday, July 16, 2006

I will miss the Manalapan parties, that's for sure.

The one yesterday started at 4pm but with the short rain shower, we waited until 5 before heading over. It was in full swing and the first round of food was gone. Not to worry, the second serving would appear within the hour. In the meantime, the boys played on the two inflatables, an obstacle course and a giant water slide.

Gradually more familiar faces stopped in and we caught up on "our summers so far": trips taken and planned, how camp is going and, of course, SCHOOL!

Those who are registered received "the phone call" on Friday afternoon from the assistant principal ... who I found out yesterday has now been named THE principal. I expected that; I'm fine with that. We hashed out our theories about the upcoming school year but the only thing that experience has taught me is that there are always unpleasant surprises lurking. In other words, we haven't any real idea on what to expect. And there's where the school needs to settle down, stabilize and get predictable because it's been a roller coaster lately.

Just before dark, some men started setting up the outdoor screen and equipment for the movie: Cars. My friend remarked as we sat there, "I can't believe that we are sitting in someone's beautifully manicured backyard watching Cars on an outdoor movie screen." I suppose that I had a twinge of conscience even though my boys have seen the movie in the theater. As it turned out, we didn't stay for the entire showing. My boys were tired, so I took them home around 10pm.

Before it got dark, I gathered up all of my belongings ... or so I thought. But I forgot to locate my rain coat and, in setting up the movie screen, they moved some patio furniture including the chair that had my coat. I told the host about it and he promptly rattled off all of the other items that people asked him to find for them. But I really hope that I get my coat back because it was new, it fits, I haven't got another one and the store is going out of business.

No comments: