Friday, July 21, 2006

I asked Fr. Boadt for the status of the revision of the Old Testament of the New American Bible last night.

He said that the translation itself was completed ten years ago but is awaiting episcopal approval.

Since the translation was finished, the approval process changed so that, instead of needing the imprimatur of only one U.S. bishop, five bishops need to approve it.

He said the sad truth about the American Catholic Church is that there are not five U. S. bishops who know biblical Hebrew well enough to approve the translation!
This remark created such a hubbub that I was unable to hear his comments after that very clearly, but I thought that he said something about the recent appointment of an American bishop who knows enough Hebrew to be the fifth and final member of the approval committee. I haven't been following the news lately, so I don't know of whom he might be thinking.

I wondered whether the Vatican deliberately put us in this situation by not appointing bishops versed in biblical Hebrew, knowing that the translation approval was pending and having some problem with the translation (inclusive language or whatever). But I wasn't about to put forth my conspiracy theory in such a public conversation with such a nice, faithful priest.

Fr. Boadt concluded by saying that he expects the translation to be approved in a year or two and become available. I wanted to ask what impact this new translation would have on the recently released Lectionary for Mass, but I didn't get a chance.

4 comments:

Angela said...

I don't really have a comment about the new translation, but I wanted to answer your question about the name of the church that S is leaving and it's Montgomery Evangelical Free Church.
:)
--a

Moonshadow said...

Michele was good enough to tell me.

I was thinking of checking out MEFC for myself sometime but just wonder about something:

You see, from a study at Princeton Alliance, I know a lady who attends MEFC. After she found out that I'm Catholic, she stopped socializing with me. Is that consistent with church teaching ... or is she just weird?

michele said...

Probably an immature Christian or a really committed Calvinist or Lutheran (hehe -- just kidding).

Moonshadow said...

Yes, well, my inquiry seeks to ascertain whether it's merely her personal preference or something her church has taught her.

I would find the latter more bewildering.