Monday, August 07, 2006

Upon coming out of Princeton Alliance Church for probably the last time, Timmy saw the huge tent erected in the parking lot. He was drawn to it, as he should be, so I humored him and we went underneath.

Rows and rows of folding metal chairs were ordered facing "front", towards a raised wooden platform. Timmy took a seat near the back. "Properly conditioned," I thought approvingly. But he wasn't satisfied. He asked permission to approach closer. Perfectly alright with me. He exclaimed, "This is a church!" And I agreed but corrected him, "A tent church!" He was enthralled to be under its bright white cover.

Their VBS program draws more than 800 children and starts this coming week. I was asked whether my children would attend and I replied that they would not. "But it's free!" I was told, quite incredibly. My friendly inquisitor nearly led me coercively towards the front office so that I might sign up my children. She wondered how I could refuse.

VBS at my parish ran last week. They had 118 children. The VBS coordinator died suddenly in March, so the program had some obstacles to overcome. Still, my oldest is not old enough to attend. Last summer, I sent him to St. Veronica's but this year, I didn't receive any information about the program. Just as well. He's in camp every day and told me that he didn't like VBS at St. Veronica's.

But, coming home from the Outlets tonight, I saw the sign outside DeBows Methodist Church about their VBS, held in the evening. I wonder whether Kenny would have the desire and energy to attend. It would be nice if I could get one of his friends to attend with him. I'll try that.

No comments: