Sunday, August 06, 2006

It was slow-going this morning because some major cleaning and rearranging kept us up until 3AM. Rolling out of bed, then, at 8:30, I thought to myself that most people function on 5 1/2 hours of sleep, why can't I?

The next hour was spent in two trips to the recycling station in town with complete carfuls of material, mostly cardboard boxes.

It was as if we had been storing them for the past six years, running the gamut: stroller boxes, computer boxes, furniture boxes, stereo boxes and toy boxes - galore. Don't forget AMAZON boxes! Two years as "Prime" customers of pay-one-price shipping has translated into not only more frequent ordering but a more cavalier attitude towards the economy of "grouping items into fewer shipments".

On top of this, Timmy put up a fight about coming with me this morning. Not that I was late on account of him; I was already late. He just made me later. So, by the time I got myself settled and collected in my seat, the Alleluia was being sung.

Placing my ribbon ahead at the end of the service to the following week's Scripture readings is my habit. However, there's always some doubt, because my little boy likes playing with ribbons ... even holding my missal by its ribbons! ... with the result that there's the possibility my marker has been moved.

The mere fact that I had trouble matching up the minister's words with the Gospel text in my handbook wasn't much of a clue, then.

I looked a week back and a week ahead but couldn't find my place. I had unconsciously recognized the reading as Mark's account of the Transfiguration of Jesus without realizing the full implications on my attempts to find my place.

This is where Timmy helped me with his exclamation, loud enough for everyone to hear, "Mommy, the man in the green shirt is wearing WHITE!" And I said reflexively, only to quiet him, "Yes, dear, because it's a holiday." And my own words flipped a switch in my own mind. Then, quick to my calendar which expired two years ago ... but I can extrapolate! ... to see that August 6th, between the 18th week and the 19th week, is the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord.

Lulled by a summer of Ordinary Time, these holidays sneak up on me! I know all about August 15th, be sure of that!

2 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Hi, Jersey neighbor!
Nice reflections on our "break from Ordinary Time." :)

Moonshadow said...

Hi, thanks for your comment.

You also shop at Wegmans where the store-brand items are almost always as good or better than name brands. Don't hesitate to pick up Wegmans cereal or anything else!

OLPH is one of my favorite icons, ever since viewing it at the Basilica of the National Shrine in D. C. By what title do the Orthodox call it, hmmm, "Our Lady of the Passion".