Thursday, August 03, 2006

Usually as something finishes up, I get my ducks in a row for the next go-'round. I've had an eye to the fall knowing that August will go quickly. And setting a tentative weekly schedule for myself. I've always needed regular appointments and demands on my time to maintain a reasonable level of productivity during those "off hours". I mean, without those external commitments on my time, everything becomes "down time" and very little gets done. And I may have overbooked myself but it's only until late December.

So, priorities, lots of priorities: exercise, if possible. And I've blogged about my disappointment with the YMCA renovation and the unavailability of the ladies' locker room and how that inconvenience may impact my workout plans. Still, I hope to be able to work within those limitations.

Another priority: Jim's study of Torah and Talmud. And, since I never did the first year of the four year Denver Bible Study program, I would like to do the first semester of that, also with Jim. The Precepts study finishes up with Revelation 4. And Michele is also doing Revelation.

The days, then, are swimming on M and W mornings. It's also on F but I don't want to be late this year for Michele as I was last year. So, I'll skip swimming, as much as I don't want to. If I find that I'm not getting my homework done or don't like the homework, then I'll come late, just for the lecture.

Evenings are out. I cannot shirk my obligation to my family in the evenings. So, even though last year I was out every other Thursday evening at Jim's Apocalypses study, I can't repeat that this year. Daytime, daytime, daytime. That leaves, Thursday afternoon for Torah & Talmud and Tuesday afternoon for Denver Bible Study, year 1 which I think is also mostly Torah. Then, Thursday morning is Precepts. And, unless Michele surprises me and moves back to Tuesday morning ... shyeah, it could happen ... then I have an open slot for something else.

What to fill it with? It didn't take long to figure out that I wanted another study. I see late December fast approaching and I know that I'll be out of commission for the next year, at least. For the most part, anyway. The baby-friendly studies will remain. IOW, Jim's studies are out once the baby comes.

So, BSF came to mind. I've looked at the schedule of their nearby studies before but not recently. Nothing has changed, same Bat times, same Bat stations. And nothing on Tuesday morning. Which bummed me out because I was looking for an excuse to visit MFEC. There's Catholic Scripture Study which is modeled on BSF but the closest location, an hour away in Barnegat, meets on Wednesdays. I looked at St. Greg's in Hamilton Square, St. David the King in West Windsor, St. Paul's in Princeton, St. Veronica's in Howell and saw nothing on their web sites about Bible studies on Tuesday mornings. Most were in the evening, if advertised at all. I didn't go the extra step of calling the parish offices for full details. I went ahead to the next batch of churches.

I called Calvary Lighthouse (A of G) in Lakewood but their study is not on Tuesday mornings. I also checked Redeemer Lutheran because my friend attends there. I thought it would be neat to attend a study with her. But, nothing on Tuesday morning.

Is Tuesday morning an inconvenient day for Bible study? Most studies are held, it seems, on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Oh, well. Then I came across a directory of Bible studies at the diocesan Office of Parish Life. It's from last year as evidenced by the blurb on Jim's study. But, way at the bottom, directly below Jim's stuff, is a notice of a study at St. Aloysius. Wrong day, right? Yeah, but it's closeby. So, on a lark, I called the Parish Office and spoke with Jen. The study meets, in fact, on Tuesday mornings and they are in the first third of Isaiah right now. So, I got the meeting dates for September and told her that I hope to see her then.

It'll be tight on those Tuesdays because the morning finishes up at 12:30 and Jim's afternoon starts at 1. That's just enough time to drive from Jackson to Marlboro. No time for lunch. But the Aloysius study (maybe I'll learn how to spell "Aloysius" because of this!) does not meet every week, so doing without lunch is probably something that I can handle on those occasions.

I'm not convinced that this is providential yet. IOW, whether I should been spending my time in this way come September. But, I will repeat that when I studied the exilic prophets a couple of weeks ago with Fr. Boadt at St. E's, it dawned on me that I haven't done a study of the major prophets. So, this study may address that issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, remarkable idea