Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Humph, watched Shopgirl last night. Is mere complexity synonymous with excellence? I'd rather hear him sing "King Tut"!

Maybe the novella is better; I haven't tracked it down. Someone else cast in his role would have been preferable, imo. Claire Danes is absolutely excellent. Otherwise ... L.A. Story this is not.

I sensed some kind of "generation envy / revelry" from the movie. The clumsy, young guy who can only think of himself and the suave, old guy who can only think of himself but is savvy enough to convince others that he's thinking only of them.

About an hour into the movie, I considered giving up and going to bed, but I stuck it out, hoping for some enlightenment. I was disappointed and should have listened to my earlier instincts.

Someone at IMDB put this movie in the same class as Lost In Translation. Not even close, nice try to redeem Shopgirl, but the only commonality is the April-December romance.

No comments: