Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Where did I get the notion that J. I. Packer had died? Wasn't a book I picked up recently dedicated to him in memoriam?

Clearly not. And so, the reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated.

Packer is as prolific and ubiquitous as ever and to appear at a conference named for him: J. I. Packer and the Evangelical Future, advertised in CT this month. Still, a somewhat unusual honor, don't you think, to discuss the legacy of a living theologian.

Among the line-up of speakers, Fr. Neuhaus. A surprise, considering McGrath is listed as a co-host, no matter how many other friends Neuhaus may have there, including Packer himself.

And, so, shall I come away with the impression that, as far as Neuhaus is concerned, the future of Evangelicalism is fully realized in them all becoming Catholic?! How can anyone help but be suspicious?

But, no, he's slated to give a Catholic appreciation of Packer. Is there such a thing? I don't have one. Not a tangible one. More like a deference from afar. More like an acknowledgement that some Christians revere him and his articulation of the faith. But, heck, in Knowing God when he says that sacred images have no legitimate use or purpose in the Christian church, uh, sorry, but we part company right there, on that point.

Maybe tapes will be available. It should be funny to hear Neuhaus. It just cracks me up because he does not come across to me as very ecumenical. Colson does a better job. And I'll comment on his article next.

No comments: