Wednesday, August 23, 2006

With some birthday money, Tim bought a couple of snap-together models at the local craft store. I think that putting models together is good for them, but so far they aren't able or interested in doing it. The task falls to me without fail.

The selection of styles includes military aircraft and boats which I have allowed them to pick on occasion. Some of these models include snap-on missiles and bomb clusters. Leaving them off results in a noticeable hole in the vehicle. If they desire a military machine, I try to steer them towards nostalgic versions.

Tim picked a P-51 Mustang. It doesn't come with guns or missiles or any weapons. As a treat for Kenny, Tim chose the F-14 Tomcat which comes with three missiles hanging underneath. The sweep-back wings and super-Mach 2 speeds excite him more than the missiles at his age.

I'm torn because I want to celebrate the technology and human ingenuity of all motor vehicles including those of the military without glorifying war making.

No comments: