Friday, March 17, 2006

Both of my mother's parents were Irish. I can't tell you their surnames because "mother's maiden name" is, well, you know, used in identification and authentication. Well, all right, my mother's mother's maiden name was Kearns. I have to tell you that because my mother's mother's side of the family factors into the story a great deal.

Growing up in upstate NY, being Irish wasn't necessarily celebrated. Oh, everyone was aware of their ethnic heritage and, like anything, geographic areas were known by the predominant people groups populating them. But nobody I knew belonged to the Ancient Order of Hibernians. One thing I knew, growing up: my mother was from Brooklyn. You heard it in her vocabulary, her accent, her mannerisms. She taught herself not to call me "Tereser" but how she emphasized the final "a" never sounded natural.

Four years ago, I attended a family reunion in Queens and learned the level of commitment. AOH membership a given. I can't even tell you the family history ... there's too much. None of it is earth-shaking, just honest people living and working the American Dream. It's filled with everything that I love about the 20th century in the greatest city in the world.

Just a funny story: my mother's cousin, Colleen, traveled to Ireland and told my mother about it, "You remember how we didn't drink certain beers because of whose labels they were? Well, over there, they don't care about that stuff." Just an example of how the Irish abroad live more conservatively or consciously than those in Ireland. But isn't that how it is? You'll cling to the things that remind you of home.

2 comments:

michele said...

And those at home have moved on. I've been told this happens in the Asian community and causes communication problems (the point of reference is different).

I'm only partially Irish some Scottish mostly German with some Slav thrown in -- a true melting pot. My daughters are even worse -- French, German, Irish, a little of their Mommie's Slav, Italian and Scottish. We were buying bread the other day and Sarah said, "Let's get french bread since were french." "I'm not french!" They forgot I'm not related to their dad by blood :-)

Moonshadow said...

Yes, good point, those at home have moved on. So then, the story shows a return journey in geographic terms to ethnic center, by way of Queens! -- only to discover that the ethnic center has moved or changed, as my second cousin shared with my mother.

Those who leave are frozen in their traditions, no longer drawing upon that living, evolving center.

every time we say goodbye
you're frozen in my mind
as the child that you'll never be
you never will be again


"How You've Grown" from Our Time in Eden by Natalie Merchant and 10,000 Maniacs.