Friday, March 03, 2006

I am not sure I should blog about this but I find the degree of misunderstanding hilarious.

First of all, my husband, who told me this story, has a tendency to fib, so I don't know for sure whether what he told me yesterday is even true. But I found it interesting that a team meeting with the director of the company was interrupted by an incoming call from "Pastor John Hagee."

The director said that he couldn't take the call immediately and would have to call Hagee back after the team meeting. That led to some inquires from the team as to who this Pastor John Hagee is and, according to my husband, the director told all about Hagee's church "where the Alamo is, you know, in San Antonio" of about 11,000 or 12,000 members.

One of the staffers joked that they make Hagee's congregation customers of their click-to-talk service after changing the name of the service to "click-to-confess," but the director was quick to point out that Cornerstone church isn't that kind of church. He said, "You know, it's an evangelical church" to which the staffer snickered, "Whatever that means!"

My husband told me that his Orthodox Jewish co-workers are casual in their efforts to understand other religions but that they expect everyone to know every "jot and tittle" of Orthodox Judaism. My husband doesn't begrudge them that prerogative as the religious majority of the company. He doesn't know much about evangelical Christianity either.

FWIW, the director of the company is some big deal in the Jewish community, some sort of wealthy philanthropist, so Hagee's interest must be associated with that somehow.

No comments: