Friday, March 17, 2006

Father promised us "scriptural" stations of the cross tonight and the material was that used by JPII in the 1990's at the Coliseum. The non-scriptural events like the Three Falls, meeting His Mother, and meeting Veronica on which is based the Holy Face tradition (a theme I used in my custom Christmas card last year) were dropped in favor of the following 14 stations:

Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane
Jesus betrayed by Judas
Jesus condemned by the Sanhedrin
Jesus denied by Peter
Jesus condemned by the people
Jesus crowned with thorns and clothed in purple.
Jesus carries the cross.
Jesus assisted by Simon of Cyrene
Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem
Jesus is crucified.
Jesus speaks to the thief
Jesus speaks to his mother
Jesus dies on the cross
Jesus is buried.


And hearing again the words of the Good Thief ... seeing with the eyes of faith Jesus hanging beside him, "Remember me, Lord" -- what a picture of discipleship.

And is there nothing that JPII left untouched? These stations are good but I hope they don't supplant the traditional stations -- they would have to redo the Via Dolorosa in the Holy City!! Not to mention in other places around the world I can't imagine that happening. But, I'll tell you, regarding the fourth set of Mysteries of the Rosary, the Mysteries of Light, that JPII contributed -- the stained glass windows in my church include those new mysteries. And I still don't know them by heart! If I ever get back to teaching CCD, I would need to learn them. That isn't hard, but I don't pray those mysteries on Thursdays, I do the Joyful Mysteries like always.

No comments: