Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The topic of this two-year-old TV program, Inside Polygamy, would not ordinarily appeal to me, but it touched upon biblical interpretation, faith and religious freedom and practice -- and I find those topics interesting. Besides, the views of Utah were breathtaking!

I expected the voice-over to engage in Mormon-bashing, because, well, that's fashionable, ain't it? I mean, after the "Last Acceptable Prejudice" (à la Dr. Jenkins or Fr. Massa) ranks anti-Mormonism. But, these civil law breakers, guilty of a misdemeanor in the third degree, are officially excommunicated from the LDS. So it isn't a black eye on Mormonism, per se.

I questioned how a husband could provide financially for more than one wife, and the program reported a couple of times that the additional wives and children may live on public assistance and in poverty.

The benefits of large family are obvious but this could be achieved through extended family or closer contact with neighbors. Yes, a polygamous arrangement would help one grow in sanctification because of the constant need for humility, love and self-sacrifice. But, well, it isn't a view of family that I have grown up with and it would be a very difficult proposition. And I don't know how I feel about them living this way. They say it's no different than cohabiters who are also breaking the law. Some polygamists have done jail time for child abuse, not for polygamy. But the prospect of removing the head of household from the family for any length of time can't be useful either.

No comments: