Thursday, March 23, 2006

My kindergartener was the only one in his class to score 100% on his vocabulary test last week, according to his teacher.

It was difficult to take her news in stride, to act nonchalant, as if I didn't care or as if I expected it of him. You know, "of course he did" type of thing.

To tell the truth, I was thrilled, because it doesn't matter how well he does, so long as he beats everyone else ... you know, that old, ugly competition.

I could hardly contain my pride in boasting about it to his father -- as if I had any hand in it -- we never study before these weekly tests. As I fished the test paper out of his backpack to prove it, I glanced quickly at the questions and answers before handing it over to Jeff and I saw immediately that Kenny had gotten a question wrong and the teacher had neglected to mark it wrong!

His teacher has me pegged as a fussbudget and a stickler -- and I am -- so I didn't dare bring her oversight to her attention. If something of value were at stake besides bragging rights - class rank or scholarship money, then of course. But this is kindergarten. Why are there weekly spelling and vocabulary tests? And why are the tests graded out of 100%?

No comments: