Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I began reading the Church Fathers, the Christian writers and teachers of the first eight centuries, and especially their commentaries on the Bible. I kept bumping up against my ignorance as the Fathers frequently referred to something I knew nothing about: the liturgy. [...] it was only when I began attending Mass that the many parts of this puzzling book suddenly began to fall into place. Before long, I could see the sense [ ... of several liturgical references ... ]. These are not interruptions in the narrative or incidental details; they are the very stuff of the Apocalypse.

Scott Hahn, The Lamb's Supper, pp. 66-7

He overstates his case, like any convert would.

But I see his point from my own experience in studying Revelation with Christians who are themselves mercifully "unsteeped" in definitive liturgical reference points.

Time and again, the violence, death and destruction draws their attention away from the liturgical elements. Oftentimes, war and worship appear in the same verse! But in their eyes, war trumps worship. They detect the one but miss the other.

Rev. 11:19 is a good example. The ark of the covenant was reported to contain manna for future generations, the "hidden manna" spoken of by our Lord in Rev. 2:17. But instead of this eucharistic reference, they bemoan the lightening, the thunder, the earthquake and the great hail and express pity towards those upon earth.

Consider assumptions as casual as these: in discussing Rev. 19:10, the study leader said, "Imagine, John kneeling before this angel!" And I thought to myself, "Kneeling? He's on his face!"

The text says, "I fell down at his feet to worship him."

The leader was a little embarrassed for John's "sin" and she tried to smooth that over and apologized to us for his "mistake".

"All the stuff he's seen, you can imagine that he might be a little confused. Who wouldn't be?!" Hey, I'm in no position to judge him, are you kidding? It ain't my thing to judge people in the Bible, no sir.

No comments: