Wednesday, March 29, 2006

It's trite to admit that I like chicken wings, fried and dipped in hot sauce. Outside of Buffalo, NY, wings served this way are called "Buffalo wings," but in Western New York (WNY), we just call them "wings". We'all know what we're talkin' about up there.

And, with the exception of a restaurant located -- thankfully! -- near my apartment in Dayton, OH when I lived and worked there, I have yet to sample decent wings outside of WNY. If you know a place, then, by all mean, pass it along. I have resorted to making my own. Wings are easy to prepare and I have improved upon the procedure that my husband learned from his mother. And things are made even easier since Wegmans rolled into town. Now I can pick up bottled sauce straight from The Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY ... right in Manalapan, NJ.

Funny thing, 'though, is that I have never been to The Anchor Bar in Buffalo! And my husband and I have an "inside" joke about that place but it's too hard to explain.

As an undergrad on UB's Amherst Campus, Duff's was easier to get to for wings. And any visit home after college graduation might require a trip up to Amherst for wings. But we could get decent wings in Batavia at Pontillo's. And then I found a place in Dayton and now I make them myself at home. But my husband can't take the hot sauce anymore. He needs 'em mild nowadays.

No comments: